Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Soaking Up Swaziland


1 week.
That's all I have left! I've been here for nearly 7 weeks now and I am in denial that I'm going home in a few days. Although I've been able to experience so much during my time here this summer, I still feel like there are a million things I haven't been able to see or do. And, because it has to happen this way in Africa, two new babies arrived at the baby home this week, so that means 2 more biographies for me to put together before I leave...in the midst of finishing up my TOMS and FMSC reports! Ahh!

This week, I've changed up my regular schedule a bit. Since I'm studying agriculture in college, I have been able to hang around with Jon Bratz, the Project Canaan Farm Director. Before coming here in January, he had been a farmer for all his life in Wisconsin. He is a wealth of knowledge! It's been so great to learn from him the past two days. I've been taught about crop rotation, planting/harvest methods, fertilizers, pesticides, and the general hardships of farming in sub-Saharan Africa (and there are many!). He has a really tough job, but he takes everything in stride and constantly looks to God for his direction and guidance.
Today, I went out with the trip teams to 2 communities around the farm area. We planted a garden, helped gather firewood, brought up water from the river, and loved on the families for a few hours. I was able to listen to stories of how the Feed My Starving Children program has impacted the lives of these families in Swaziland. It was really neat!
Tomorrow, I get to go to Guba. Funny name, but a seriously exciting place. It's a permaculture farm in Swaziland that exists to alleviate poverty through training in sustainable agriculture, natural building and natural resource management. Since I have a focus in local&organic agriculture in college, I am very excited! Mike (he lives at the Lodge...he's the farm's heavy equipment operator & a really cool guy) discovered it a few months ago and has been telling me about it since I arrived. So, needless to say, I can't wait!

Before I leave, I still have a list of things I hope to accomplish. I hope to visit a few markets to shop for gifts. I want to hug each and every one of the El Roi little ones in one day (that's 37 wonderful hugs!). I want to go to the top of the Project Canaan property and look out over the breathtaking Swazi countryside. I want to finish all of my writing before this weekend!!! (Though all of my collecting and initial reports are done, I still have some details to elaborate on or facts to check...but they have added up!).

I want to soak up as much of Swaziland as I can fit in my heart.

I may accomplish all of the above, or I may only get to a few things (those writing projects being first on the list!). This is Africa, as we have learned to say, and you can only plan so far ahead.


Thanks for reading & keeping up with me! I love you all & am getting excited about coming home in a few short days :)

With love,
-Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment